Spring Break Recap

Spring Break has come and gone and everyone is back in class, yet I still want to share my Spring Break recap with you.

Most people went back home for Spring Break, but I stayed in Florida and went to Fort Myers. I had the privilege of staying with my boyfriend’s family at their house, so it was much more convenient (and fun) than going back to Washington would have been!

The trip was full of relaxation, sightseeing, and good food. Because Fort Myers is on the Gulf of Mexico and is on the west coast of Florida, it is home to some of the most spectacular sunsets in Florida. Of course, watching a sunset was on my bucket list for the trip, and we watched it almost every night! We also went fishing in the pond behind the house every morning and evening. We caught all kinds of different fish and even saw turtles and an alligator!

Sunset over Fort Myers Beach

Sunset over Fort Myers Beach

Fort Myers is home to Spring Training every year for the Red Sox and the Twins. Everyday we drove by both of their ballparks, which were both surprisingly large. Traffic was always very busy during the afternoons because of the ball games and there were fans everywhere.

The second night we were there, we found a hidden beach which was perfect for watching the sunset. We continued to go back there almost every evening to watch! It is called Bunche Beach and it is located in between Fort Myers Beach and Sanibel Island. The sand bar was huge, so you could walk really far out into the water. The sun set through the Sanibel/Captiva bridge every night and it was amazing to watch, even after the first night.IMG_0788

Just before sunset on Bunche Beach

Just before sunset on Bunche Beach

One day, we took a trip to Sanibel and Captiva. They are both islands just off the coast of Fort Myers Beach. Sanibel Island is known for its seashells and white sand. We spent a few hours there on the beach hunting for shells, and afterwards, drove around the island and looked at all of the beach shops. It really felt like I was living “the island life”! That night, we went to a restaurant called Parrot Key. It is a very popular restaurant on the Fort Myers Marina. Their specialty is seafood, and I had the most amazing fish tacos! They also are famous for their dessert by the name of “Pelican Poop”. It is comprised of brownies, ice cream, coconut, and pineapple. I’m craving it right now just thinking about it!

Outside of Parrot Key

Outside of Parrot Key

Pelican Poop

Pelican Poop

Another day, we went to Lover’s Key State Park. It is located just south of Fort Myers and is a lot less busy, as well. We took a tram from the front of the park, through the mangroves, to the beach. The beach was covered with pure white sand and the water was pure blue. Lover’s Key felt like a private beach compared to Fort Myers Beach.

White sandy beach at Lover's Key

White sandy beach at Lover’s Key

Sightseeing is one of my favorite things to do, and since I was in a city I had never been to before, I wanted to do a lot of sightseeing! Since Naples is so close to Fort Myers, it was a must-do on the trip. Naples is a very wealthy city which is comprised of million-dollar beach homes and fancy stores. We just drove through the neighborhoods (that weren’t gated!) and looked at the homes in the area. They were incredible! There were also several huge yachts, fancy cars, and beautiful yards. Another night, we went driving around Fort Myers and found the Edison and Ford House. The house was huge and the property was beautiful. Apparently, it is where both Thomas Edison and Henry Ford lived during the cold northern winters.

One of my favorite parts of the trip was the day we spent in Everglades City. It has always been my dream to go on an airboat in the Everglades, and it finally came true! I am still so excited about it! The airboat tour took us through the swamps around Everglades City. It felt like we were in a corn maze, only it was mangroves. I have no idea how the tour guide could find his way out of the mangroves! I though we were just going in circles the whole time. We also saw two gators, and I got to hold a baby one!

Through the mangroves we go!

Through the mangroves we go!

Riding on the airboat

Riding on the airboat

IMG_0805IMG_0808

To end the trip, we went to dinner at Texas Roadhouse and played mini-golf! Mini golf is always a tradition on any vacation. We also made a stop at the Love Boat Ice Cream Shop. It was the cutest old ice cream shop, and all of their ice cream was homemade. The line was out the door when we got there, and people continued to come for the rest of the evening.

Outside the Love Boat

Outside the Love Boat

Spring Break came at the perfect time. It was very nice to relax, have home-cooked meals, and explore South Florida. I am so grateful for my wonderful Spring Break experience and I am looking forward to exploring more of what Florida has to offer sometime soon!

Until next time,

Lindsey