October 30

Halloween is just around the corner, so you know what that means. Well, you might, but I’m not sure. I’m too old to trick-or-treat and I am too poor to buy candy and give it away. I’m right in the middle. Oh well, I’ll figure something out. Anyway, since it is the end of October, that can only mean one thing . . . Biketoberfest is over!!! For those of you who don’t know what Biketoberfest is, you can find out some stuff here (http://www.biketoberfest.org/), but its pretty much thousands of bikers riding through Daytona and hangin out. There was some pretty crazy stuff going on.. There were so many bikes everywhere. I have lived in Florida all my life and have yet to go to Biketoberfest until this year. The reason being is that it takes so long to get anywhere because there are way too many people in one area. But me and my friends wanted to go check it out, so we drove down there to see what it was all about. There were definitely some sick bikes there and a lot of crazy people. Walking down Main Street in shorts and a collared shirt, I couldn’t help but feel that I didn’t fit in. Nevertheless, we had fun and I look forward to Bike Week which is another biker thing that will go on in a couple of months.

Now I’ll do a little class update:

Speech- I gave my informative speech just the other day and I think it went alright. It was definitely informative, but not very humorous. It was entertaining because I showed the video of me going tandem and a lot of crazy pictures of me in the air. My favorite part about the speech was that on every slide, there was either a picture or a video of me. I like seeing me.

Physics- A quick story before I talk about physics . . . My girlfriend Rebecca is a lot smarter than she gives herself credit for. Often times she’ll take a test and before hand she will say that she will probably fail it and that she’s not ready. Then she’ll take the test and not only get an A, but the highest grade in the class. Well, in physics, I pulled a Becca. I thought that I was going to fail and I ended up getting the 2nd highest grade in the class. Go figure.

Business- Not much has changed since last time. Still pretty much the same class, except there have been two occasions recently where I wake up at 8 and go to class and when I walk all the way across campus, I find out that class is canceled. That usually isn’t a good way to start the day.

Basic Aeronautics- This is still one of my favorite classes. My professor is pretty crazy and I always find myself laughing at something in his class. We have a test next week, so I will most likely be studying for the next week or so. I feel confident with the information we have learned so far, so I think I will do fairly well on the test, but we’ll see what happens.

College Success- I finally know how to succeed in college, but I can’t say because it is a secret.

Meteorology- I have a test next week or “exam” as they call them in college. I got a 90 on the last one, so hopefully I can pull another A this time.

Flight- My flying has been going alright this past two weeks. You are supposed to have an activity roughly 3 times a week, but I have only had 1 for the past couple of weeks. I have a flight block Monday, Wednesday, Friday and my instructor instructs Tuesday through Saturday, so I only have an activity 2 days a week. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to fly twice a week because of weather and plane malfunctions, which leaves me with 1 day a week. But my instructor is trying her best to schedule me on different days so that I don’t fall behind.

So all in all, college is still much better than high school in my opinion. But all those of you out there that are in high school, just hang in there because we all had to do it.

When I’m not doing things related to school, I’m trying to have fun and so far I have been succeeding. One thing that I have been having a blast with is skydiving. I finally got certified and I did my first solo jump! It was about 5 weeks in between my lessons, so I needed a refresher course, but I did all 7 jumps with my instructors and 1 solo jump. For my first solo jump, I dove out of the plane then did a front flip followed by a back flip. I then started tracking which is when you bring your arms to your side and fly more horizontally (gaining distance on the ground). Then I did 4 or 5 spins to the left and 4 or 5 back to the right. Then I pulled at about 5500 feet and cruised back to the ground and landed right next to the target. It was one of the craziest things that I have ever done and I can’t wait to go again and again.

On a less exciting note, I cleaned my fish tank.

On a slightly more exciting note, I bought a long board. I got a Sector 9 from a place called Maui Nix. It’s a pretty sick board. Two of my friends got one too, and it’s pretty fun just riding around campus. Also, it’s a breeze when I have a class that’s on the other side of campus because I can make it 10 times faster than if I was walking. So that’s always a plus.

On Sunday the 29th at 3:00pm, my intramural volleyball team (The BAMFs) played the first game of the playoffs. At 3:37pm, The BAMFs were promptly eliminated. Our record for the whole season was 0-4. And for the playoffs, all we did was added 1 to the 4. So all in all, we were 0-5 which isn’t all that bad when you think about it. Oh wait, it is. Oh well, we had fun. Every game we had the other team, the spectators, and the referees not only laughing at us, but with us. So even though we didn’t win a single game, I am fairly confident that we had the most fun, aside from the ultimate winners of the season. Next year will be different though, I have a feeling . . .

Other than that, homecoming weekend just happened and I’m not really sure what happened. I know there was a parade and a tailgate party type deal, but other than that I have no idea what happened. So if you wanted to find out about all that stuff, you might want to hit the back button on your browser and look at other student journals. Sorry that I couldn’t be of more help in that area, but eh. All I do know is that I saw Jamie Kennedy along with loads of other people, and I was a little let down. I have never been a real big fan of Jamie but I thought that I would give him a chance. Some of the stuff was funny, but he rapped at the end and I couldn’t understand what he was saying. In my opinion, the guy before Jamie Kennedy was twice as funny as him. Oh well, though, maybe next year will be a better year.

Well I think I should probably go study for my upcoming tests. Hopefully everyone out there is enjoying themselves and reading all my journals. If you do read all of them, and can summarize all of them and right back to me, you will win a prize. Something like a Gatorade or a soda. I’m on a college budget so I can’t go too crazy. Stay tuned for the next journal!!!

-Blake

This entry was posted in 2006 – 2007 by Blake. Bookmark the permalink.

About Blake

**Hometown:** DeBary, Florida **Why I chose Embry-Riddle:** Ever since I was little I knew that I wanted to fly, and ever since I knew about Embry-Riddle I wanted to go here.