November 18, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!!  Florida does not stay warm all year long!  On Friday morning during PT, it was 40 degrees and I was still freezing in my sweats.  Back home in Illinois I wouldn’t have considered that to be cold but here you expect it to be warm and in the 70’s, so it was a definite shock.  Speaking of PT, a couple of Wednesday’s ago we got to run on the Daytona Speedway!  I was excited to see the inside of a racetrack; however, I would have had a little bit more fun had I been driving a racecar instead of running!  I love being in AFROTC because we do things other people just dream of doing!

Homecoming was two weeks ago and I had a lot of fun!  Last year, I was here for my campus visit during Homecoming so I had an idea of what to expect.  There is a parade and this year the theme was television shows, so each club that participated chose a TV show and had a float.  The Airport Management Club turned a car into a Southwest airplane and I helped spray paint the cardboard.  I was holding the spray paint and thought the nozzle was pointed at the cardboard, but it wasn’t—instead my finger became a nice bright blue color. Also, country singer Keith Anderson came and gave a performance before the basketball game.  Don’t forget to check out the pictures on my website.  The basketball game against Viterbo was more intense than the last one but we still won.  I had a good time and can’t wait for next year’s homecoming!

Well, I have finished the Associate Process of Silver Wings and am now a member.  Last night, we had our Initiation Banquet at the Daytona Beach Resort.  Everybody was all dressed up and the colonel was there and gave a presentation.  Two weekends ago, I had my interview which was a little intense because there were seven interviewers sitting behind a table and then me sitting in a chair in the middle of the room.  I did well though, and am glad I had to do an interview because the more you practice the better you get.  Silver Wings is a great club and I am excited to be a part of it.

I got my low quarters (shoes) on Friday!!  I can now wear the real Air Force uniform and just in time because Monday is the Air Force Finals.  We will be having one last inspection for the semester and cadets have to brief upperclassmen on what they have taught us.  I will be sure to let you know how it goes in my next entry.  I have to shine my low quarters and thankfully, I have other cadets on my floor who have been willing to help me because I have never shined shoes before.  Yesterday, I found a video on the Internet that showed how to shine shoes and that was helpful.  For all future AFROTC cadets, buy Kiwi Black Shoe Polish because it is what everyone uses.

My classes are going well and I am excited to be getting close to the end of the semester.  I only have one big presentation left and it’s in my Principles of Management class.  All of my other classes have had the projects due throughout the semester which is nice because it doesn’t get all dumped on you in the end.  I am not going home over Thanksgiving so I plan to get some homework done and just relax before finals.  If you have any questions about ROTC or college in general, shoot me an e-mail.

Until next time,

Kaleigh

e-mail:sidesk@erau.edu