March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!  Spring Break is here and next week I will register for fall classes.  Also, I will be deciding on which residence hall that I will be living in next year.  I have a feeling that the end of the semester is going to be even crazier than the week before Spring Break.  My classes are going well and I just found out that one of my grades had posted wrong, so I am actually doing much better than what I originally thought!

Last week in AFROTC, we had Operation Bottoms Up Week (OBU) and the sophomores took over the detachment and did what the juniors and seniors normally do.  My flight received a new flight commander which was great because it allowed me to see how two different leadership styles can affect a group of people.  Overall, it was a really fun week and I am excited for my turn next year.  On another note, I retook the Physical Fitness Assessment and passed!  Yeah!!!!

Silver Wings had their Beach Clean Up last Saturday and I went along because not only did I want to help clean the beach, but I wanted to see the ocean!  I was amazed at how crowded it was since it was sort of cold and breezy!  I had never seen cars on the beach before, so I took a couple of pictures. Also, there was an ice cream truck driving up and down the beach.  After having walked up and down the beach picking up trash it was nice to have a refreshing treat.  I had remembered to put sunscreen on my face and arms, but I forgot about my legs and the backs got pretty burnt.  Next time, I will remember to put sunscreen on them!

I attended the last Honors Speaker of the year—Dr. Ruth Schwartz Cowan, who talked about genetic screening.  I thought it was a very interesting talk because she covered the history of genetic screening and the different types of genetic screening that currently exist.  I also attended a lecture given by Helen Thayer, who is an explorer.  She was the first woman to travel on foot to the magnetic North Pole, and at the age of 70 she is still going strong.  Her next adventure is to Bolivia with her 81 year old husband. They are going to document indigenous people and their cultures.  I thought it was a very inspiring talk given how much she is accomplishing at her age.  If you are interested in learning more about her, check out http://www.helenthayer.com/ .

The beach bonfire with Silver Wings was cancelled because we had a huge storm and it got really cold.  Right now, I am pretty cold because here in Illinois it is still in the winter season; however, some people think it is spring because I was in Wal-Mart and saw a lady wearing a tank top and shorts.  The temperature wasn’t even in the 50s!  Maybe, towards the end of the week it will get warmer, but I don’t really have to worry about it because I am going back to warm and sunny Florida.

Until next time,

Kaleigh

e-mail:sidesk@erau.edu