January 25, 2009

The Rolex 24 was this weekend and the good news is I didn’t have to work it! I got some homework done and hung out with some friends. It would have been nice to go to the beach, but the weather has been way too cold. Last Friday, I checked the temperature when I woke up and it was two degrees warmer back home in Illinois. I couldn’t believe it! One of the reasons I came to Florida was for the warm weather, so I hope that it warms up soon! People have been getting sick lately due to the weather and I hope I don’t catch it because I don’t really have time to get sick right now.

This past weekend we kicked off Relay for Life week with an Oozeball (mud volleyball) tournament on Sunday. I got to decorate the sidewalk with sidewalk chalk! I hadn’t done that since I was a little kid and I forgot how much fun it was! I even posted some pictures of my handiwork. We decided to do a Relay for Life week in order to get more teams signed up and get people excited about the event in March. There are activities planned for several days this week and it all wraps up at the basketball game on Friday night. I’m really looking forward to the actual event!

Last Wednesday, the officers of Silver Wings and Arnold Air got together to plan some joint activities and hopefully get the organizations together on some service activities. So far, we planned a social at the park one weekend, a trash clean-up on the highway, a joint meeting, and a beach bonfire are all in the works. The Activities Fair was on Thursday and I think Silver Wings will have a good turnout. I’m looking forward to NATCON (the National Conclave for Silver Wings and Arnold Air) which is where all the chapters and squadrons in a region come together. In fact, some exciting news is that I think I’m going to run with some people from our chapter for National Staff.

Classes are going well and my first tests will be next week. This semester has really made me realize the importance of time management. I’m trying to get as much done as possible each day so I don’t procrastinate and have to spend all weekend working on homework. I have decided on a topic for my Business Law paper—the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. I chose this topic because I was actually reading about it in my Corporate Finance book and I thought it sounded interesting. Basically, the act was created after the Enron scandal and attempts to make sure the firm’s financial reports accurately represent its financial condition. I thought it would be a good topic because there is plenty of information out there about it. I’m hoping to have the paper done before Spring Break because I don’t want to work on it over break! I’ll keep you updated on my progress and let you know how the tests go.

Field Training Preparation has been keeping me busy and with all that we do it’s almost like another three credit-hour class! It seems like every week there are two or three additional meetings, but I love being busy like this because it makes the week go so much faster. I have held two jobs within the flight already—deputy flight commander and deputy flight physical fitness officer. For the deputy flight commander job, I had to keep track of the attendance and for the other one I was in charge of Physical Training one day because the cadet who was supposed to do it was sick. I’m learning so much and it’s keeping me on my toes.

This coming weekend is the Super Bowl and I’m pretty excited because some of my friends have a 42’’ TV and we are going to make some homemade pizza and watch the game! I forgot to mention that I went to the Daytona Beach flea market on Saturday and found a charm with my name on it, spelled correctly, for my charm bracelet—it’s the first time I have ever found my name with the exact spelling on anything!

Until next time,
Kaleigh