December, 2009

It’s official, I’m now an FAA Certified Private Pilot! I took my checkride on December 16th with FAA Designated Examiner Bob Raskey. The weather was Marginal VFR and not preferred, but I was driven and well-motivated to finally finish up the course. I made it my goal to finish Private Pilot before I came back home for winter break. After staying on campus for an extra week, while everyone else was already home, you can see why I was so eager.

Prior to my actual flight test, I took a practice checkride and soloed two times to practice maneuvers and to reassure that I was confident and prepared enough to take the test. The practice checkride was with another instructor and consisted of an oral exam and a flight test. Both of which are what make up an actual checkride.

The university provides housing to students during the days that classes are not in session but the flight line is still open. This time period is called “overflight,” and costs just 25 dollars per day.

Classes finished on December 3rd and all of my grades are finalized and available on the ERNIE portal. I feel I did very well for my first semester away from home and in a new setting all on my own.

As soon as it was all over, I booked a flight and headed home back to NY. I’m glad to be home for the Holidays, but I think the warm weather may have spoiled me.

Over and Out.

This entry was posted in 2009 – 2010 by Alan. Bookmark the permalink.

About Alan

**Minors:** Business Administration and Air Traffic Control **Hometown:** Greater New York City Area, NY **Career Goals:** To fly airplanes and prepare myself for an airline career. **Why I chose Embry-Riddle:** The amount of opportunities available to students and the quality of instruction provided. **Activities:** Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity, Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society, Orientation Team, Student Alumni Association, Flight Professional Conduct Board, Airline Career Education Club, The Avion Newspaper