February 14, 2011

Hi everybody. I hope you are well.  I am doing very well myself: classes are good and I have really been enjoying everything this semester.

I have definitely kept myself busy, as well, both with working, classes, and having fun. I really have come to find that this is the key to having a good college experience: making the most of it. The saying really applies that college is what you make of it so make it good!

Since I last wrote, I have continued working at Daytona Beach International, particularly with the incredible traffic increase associated with the yearly events at the Daytona International Speedway, namely the Daytona 500 NASCAR race. I have such a great time with this as it is just so busy and exciting. In my next entry, I will include some more pictures and details from the weekend of the actual race.

This past weekend, I went away to visit my grandparents in south Florida, so I missed much of the excitement that took place with speedweeks at the Speedway. When I returned, however, Daytona Beach was bustling with all sorts of activity. Tons of tourists were everywhere, and the area surrounding the Speedway was full of merchandise trailers and TV studios. It always makes things more exciting around town. After the race is over, Bike Week occurs and then spring break, meaning that there is a comfortable increase in people around for pretty much the remainder of the semester.

On February 3, myself and several other students here at Embry-Riddle woke up at 3am to pre-order the Verizon Wireless iPhone 4. For me, this had been a four year wait as I had wanted an iPhone since the very first one was released on the AT&T network. However, I was unable to switch carriers so I had to wait until Verizon finally brought the phone to their network only a week ago. I received my iPhone on the 7th, 3 days before it was released to the public. It really is a great phone and I like it a lot.

I mentioned in my last entry that I had applied into the Disney College Program internship and that I had just completed my phone interview. Well, less than two weeks after I interviewed, I received an e-mail invitation inviting me to participate in the program as a lifeguard “cast member” for fall 2011. While my first choice was transportation, I am still thrilled to have been accepted as it is pretty competitive. I am going to speak with Career Services here at Riddle this week and decide on whether it is a good fit for my overall plan.

Well, you guys are probably sick of me talking about my frequent trips to Disney World, but I did go the other weekend yet again. This time, we left Daytona around 2 and got to Disney World around 3pm, leaving us until 10pm until the park closed. We had good luck in that on two separate occasions, families randomly gave us their FastPasses to various rides, allowing us to skip the line. Because of this we were able to cover the park very fully with plenty of time to spare for eating, fireworks, etc. At Monster’s Inc. Laugh floor, my friend Justin got randomly picked by the camera to be on the screen and answer some questions, which was pretty hilarious.

Well, that’s about it for this time, guys. Stay well and don’t hesitate to e-mail me with any questions!

Take care,
Pete

This entry was posted in 2010 – 2011 by Pete. Bookmark the permalink.

About Pete

**Concentration:** Air Transport Concentration **Minor:** Flight **Career Goals:** To work in Airport Operations at a major airport, or become a commerical airline pilot. **Why I chose Embry-Riddle:** Location, Name Recognition, Academic Program Quality.