June 6, 2011

Hi everyone,

My internship has not yet begun. I left Daytona last Wednesday and drove up to Virginia with everything I could pack in my car. I decided to leave the majority of my belongings in a storage unit in Daytona since I will be back in the fall to finish my degree. You never realize how much ‘stuff’ you have until you have to move! The packing seemed to never end. I stopped in Savannah, GA on the way so that I didn’t have to do the 12 hour drive all in one day. Two of my classmates are doing an internship with Gulfstream this summer in Savannah. They seem to like it so far. I finally made it to my destination on Thursday evening.

I have three friends that have been recently hired to work at the same company full time. We spent the past few days driving around town getting to know the area. Luckily, I don’t start work until June 20th so I was able to fly home to Illinois and spend quality time with my family.

I can’t wait to start working and am excited for this opportunity! The best advice I can give is to not give up if you have made a connection with a company. I had originally been told that I was unable to get hired by this company for the summer. Fortunately, I stayed in contact with them and when the opportunity opened back up I jumped on it. My next entry should be after my first day of work!

Wish me luck.

This entry was posted in 2013 - 2014 by Rachel. Bookmark the permalink.

About Rachel

**Graduate:** MS Human Factors & Systems **Undergraduate:** Engineering Physics **Minor:** Mathematics **Career Goals:** To work in the field of Human Factors, studying human performance in extreme environments. **Why I chose Embry-Riddle:** I wanted to become an astronaut after attending space camp as a kid. Science and sports were my strengths in high school. My senior year, I received a pamphlet in the mail about Embry-Riddle and was immediately intrigued. I flew in from IL to tryout with the soccer team, toured the campus, went to the beach and there wasn’t a doubt in my mind that I wanted to make Embry-Riddle my new home!