July 17, 2011

Hey everyone! How are you guys doing? I am doing very well here, just enjoying the summer. The weather the past few days has been awesome, so I have been trying to take advantage of that as much as I can.

Not all that much is new with me, so I am sorry that this entry may be a little shorter than some of my previous ones. Work really takes up the most of my weeks, and on the weekends I like to relax as much as I can. But, I do have a few neat things that I’ve done recently I can share with you.

As my readers from the previous year know, one reason I enjoy working at airports is because of how unexpected things pop up randomly and without warning, and I have to respond to that situation and resolve it. Well, one such situation happened a few days ago on a taxiway that had been closed for construction. The airfield lighting there was not working, so several manhole covers and ditches had been opened or dug to try to locate the faulty wiring. Having these open next to a taxiway is in violation of FAR Part 139, so the taxiway had to be closed as a result.

That taxiway is primarily used for the airline as it runs from the terminal ramp across the main runway 2/20. When one of the airline flights called the tower for taxi, they were told to bypass that taxiway, but they accidentally turned down it instead. Because it was closed, they could not legally continue. The tower called me and asked what they should do. Knowing the aircraft couldn’t turn around and that it would be difficult to push it back, I expedited out to its location and just inspected the area to ensure it was safe for them to continue, and authorized the aircraft to taxi down the taxiway. It was a fun thing to do and everyone was very appreciative.

Then, this past weekend, a good friend of mine who I hadn’t seen in a while asked me if I would like to fly to Block Island for the day. Block Island, for those who don’t know, is a characteristic New England literally saving 2 and a half hours from driving. I love flying there and hadn’t been there yet this summer until that day. It was a great trip and we had a great lunch out there as well. We walked around almost the entire island, too, which was a little tiring but fun to see everything. It was a good day.

I am assuming now that some of the readers here are now looking to join the Embry-Riddle Class of 2016. To those individuals, welcome! I hope my journal will help you with your decision. Please read back through my earlier entries this year and let me know if you have any questions about anything. If you can find any time at all this summer to take a campus visit, I highly recommend you do so!

Other than that, I really don’t have that much more to share! Sorry again for the shortness of this entry. I will fill you in further next time!

Take care and talk to you soon!
Pete

This entry was posted in 2013 - 2014 by Pete. Bookmark the permalink.

About Pete

**Concentration:** Air Transport Concentration **Minor:** Flight **Career Goals:** To work in Airport Operations at a major airport, or become a commerical airline pilot. **Why I chose Embry-Riddle:** Location, Name Recognition, Academic Program Quality.