July 20, 2012

After flying for a few weeks, it is time for me to rotate flying with the other intern. So for the next few weeks I will be ‘flying a desk’ and my last week will be spent back in the skies. I’m working in the Flight Department offices regarding pilot training, records, manuals, regulatory compliance, and recruiting. It’s great to see the behind-the-scenes work that goes into running an airline that most pilots don’t get a chance to see.

Ameriflight operates as an ‘on demand air carrier’ regulated by Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations part 135 (14 CFR Part 135). The FAA is the enforcing agent for these regulations and since they control an airline’s ability to operate, it is important as a company to follow all their guidelines. In regards to training, this includes properly training and checking all company pilots to ensure compliance, standardization, and safe practices. Confidential records are kept on each pilot as proof that this is all true.

As an intern I assist in developing and producing training materials for our pilots via manuals, supplements, and computer-based modules. I also perform audits on our records as part of regulatory compliance.

You may have read about the projected pilot shortage in news headlines. To add to that, our company is hiring, which is good news for many young aviators like myself. For reasons like the projected shortage, now is a great time to get started on your career!

Our offices are adjacent to the hangar, which allows me to see our mechanics in action. Attached below are some photos of Pratt & Whitney PT6A turbine engines in the box and Lycoming TIO-540 piston engines on mounts. In addition to powerplants we do much of our maintenance work in-house. The last photo is a line-up of ARFF (Airport Rescue and Fire Fighting) vehicles that came by for a visit.

Over and Out.

This entry was posted in 2013 - 2014 and tagged by Alan. Bookmark the permalink.

About Alan

**Minors:** Business Administration and Air Traffic Control **Hometown:** Greater New York City Area, NY **Career Goals:** To fly airplanes and prepare myself for an airline career. **Why I chose Embry-Riddle:** The amount of opportunities available to students and the quality of instruction provided. **Activities:** Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity, Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society, Orientation Team, Student Alumni Association, Flight Professional Conduct Board, Airline Career Education Club, The Avion Newspaper