Summer at ALPA

Hello everyone!

I hope you’re summer is going great! I have approximately two weeks left here at ALPA, and then it’s back to Florida! My internship has been a great experience so far! I got to attend the Legislative Summit that was held from June 19th to June 21st at Capitol Hill. The summit provided ALPA pilots an opportunity to enhance their advocacy and PAC leadership skills through hands-on training. I got to meet a lot of representatives and senators at the summit.

Talking about my future goals to Congressman Laren

On June 16th, I visited the TWA 800 aircraft and got to meet Robert Sumwalt again. We couldn’t take photos of the aircraft in order to respect the lives of the passengers that were lost in this aircraft accident.

We had a Basic Safety School from June 27th to June 29th. The Basic Safety School was about safety related topics in the aviation industry. Some of them included crew member self-defense initial training, security posturing, crew security resources, ALPA security priorities, legal support for Safety Representatives, SMS and safety risk assessment, CIRP, Accident/Investigation and crash site hazards. Thursday afternoon was devoted to Airport Safety Liaison training, where we discussed ASL Procedure Subject Specific Training and the program benefits.

Monday (July 3rd) and Tuesday (July 4th) were holidays for ALPA due to 4th of July. I spent this four day weekend with Brent in Atlanta, Grenada and then New Hampshire (his hometown) for his 21st birthday. We went to see Lake Winnipesaukee, which is the largest lake in New Hampshire. We also lit fireworks!!!! My favourite part is just playing around with the sparklers!

I hope you all had a great relaxing weekend too!

Until next time,

Maryam

This entry was posted in 2016 - 2017 by Maryam. Bookmark the permalink.

About Maryam

Internship: ALPA - Brooke Owens Fellowship Program
Major: Spaceflight Operations
Minors: Flight, Aviation Safety, Human Factors
Hometown: Dubai, UAE
Campus Involvement: National Society for Collegiate Scholars, Women's Ambassador Program, Orientation Team, Women in Aviation, International Society of Air Safety Investigators, Spaceflight Sciences Policy and Operations Club, Career Services Student Ambassador
Why I chose Embry-Riddle: Because of my passion for flight and the great networking opportunities Riddle provides!