Pilot Post: Intro and Internships

Hi, all! My name is Moriah and I am going to be a senior this fall. Maybe our paths have crossed, maybe they haven’t. I’ve been involved in Homeland Security classes, the Homeland Security Student Association (HSSA), Peer to Peer: Challenging Extremism, and Transfer Admissions. Campus is small, so you may spot me briskly walking if not running to class (more on that later). Some quick facts about me… I am from New Hampshire and if you don’t know where that is, let’s just say the Boston, Massachusetts area.

Freshman year: Doolittle Hall, no car, HSSA member & secretary (spring semester), intra-mural soccer

Sophomore year: Apollo Hall, car in March, HSSA member & secretary, Peer to Peer: Challenging Extremism, Israel Study Abroad summer 17, Student Assistant Transfer Admissions

Junior year: Off- Campus, car, HSSA member & secretary (fall semester), Student Assistant Transfer Admissions, moved houses, internship search, internship summer 18

I tried:

• Rowing during freshman year but could not commit to waking up so early.
  • Embry-Riddle Dancing Eagles during freshman and sophomore year but HSSA got too busy
  • Scuba Club but the club communication was not particular enough for me to balance Scuba and HSSA

As you can tell, HSSA was a big part of my life. I will have a separate post about the journey through HSSA.

Now, I am busy with finishing my undergrad and working in Transfer Admissions. I work hours around my classes. I try to make my work and class schedule be back-to-back so I can spend time at the house or go to the gym. I hope you find my posts informative and entertaining. For now, let’s jump to internships!

For any Homeland Security (HS) Student, the word “internship” brings a wave of emotions. To complete the HS program, we are required to complete an internship or take thesis class (Career Services and HS 280 Professional Skills in Homeland Security will cover the criteria). The department recommends an internship and I agree; an internship will help you get your foot in the door. To be honest, I was a little late in the game for government internships. If you are interested in interning at a government agency, start applying freshman and/or sophomore year. Why so early? Security Clearances and paperwork will take a long time to be processed and completed.

DO: Take advantage of career services, go to related-field guest speakers, join clubs or take on leadership roles, pay attention in class, network with fellow students and professors, go to the career fairs, start organizing your personal information for the security clearance (SF 86)

Because I lived on campus for my first two school years, I went to any special speaker that I found interesting. There were many government officials and cyber security speakers. Not only is it a great excuse to get out of your dorm, but it is also interesting and academic. I recommend getting a jump start on the SF86 because it takes a long time to complete. Even if you don’t need the SF86 immediately, look at the document. Trust me. It will save you stress overall. You can find a template through the United States Office of Personnel Management website < SF86 Questionnaire for National Security Positions. You will hear about the SF86 in class and the rumors are true- it takes hours to complete. In the end, I estimated 6-8 hours.

DON’T: Be lazy and wait till last minute to internship search, be afraid to ask for help, think you only need to apply to one company

Us HS students live and breathe internships. We know we need the experience, networking, and course credit. Career Services won’t hand you an internship on a silver platter. Our field is competitive, and qualifications vary. If you kindly ask a professor for advice, you may get a chance to submit your resume or even an interview. It’s up to you to have a resume and interview skills ready to go! In the end, apply to as many positions as you can. I’ve been turned down so many times.

My next post will be more in-depth about my specific internship search and success. By the time you read this article, I may have already had my first day at the job!

My 2¢

Don’t expect or feel pressured into becoming best friends with your roommate; do respect each other. If you are using the right amount, liquid detergent is cheaper than “pods” and you really don’t need that fabric softener (in fact, fabric softener breaks down the clothes to make them “soft” which wears clothes out quicker).

This entry was posted in 2017-2018 by Moriah. Bookmark the permalink.

About Moriah

Minor: Terrorism Studies and Cyber Security Year: Graduating Spring 2019 (FA 18 will be a Senior [oh my]) Hometown: Amherst, New Hampshire Campus Involvement: Homeland Security Student Association (previous), Peer 2 Peer Challenging Extremism (previous) Why I chose Embry-Riddle: It was between ERAU or a tiny school in Ohio, surrounded by cornfields. ERAU had better connections, curriculum, and staff by a landslide.