RA Life, AFROTC, & Rest

Happy December everyone! Finals are over!!! I’m currently blogging from Daytona Beach, but in a few hours I’ll be in Orlando departing from MCO, then I’ll be heading back home to Norfolk, Virginia. 

Just a brief recap of fall 2018 before the new year and spring semester begins: This has single-handedly been the most challenging semester of my life, but I passed all of my finals and my classes, friends, so thank you so much for the support. Key shout-outs here go to the boxing girls and my best friend Obie wan.

Many students have already left Daytona, but RAs are the last ones to leave (as well as the first ones back) as we do health and safety inspections and have to check all the rooms to prepare our residence halls for shutting down and for opening back up to residents. Fret not though, this process only takes a few days and after that is freedom. 

I am so excited to be able to relax over break. I’m sure it will be filled with all the things I love and only get to have sparingly while I’m in college, including but not limited to: lots of working out, home cooked meals with fresh vegetables, yoga (YESSS), seeing my best friend home from college, living walkable distance from the beach, my dog Kita, and also my family. I may read a book for leisure, shocking I know, as well as listen to lots of music. I also will be sleeping in glutenous amounts and will be going to all my favorite local coffee shops. Taking a break every once in a while is so well needed and deserved for both students, professors, and faculty. Everyone has been working so hard since August, we all really deserve this chance to reset, relax, and recharge before the spring.

Next semester in AFROTC will be Field Training Preparation which is extremely exciting as well because after that comes Field Training during the summer, which is one step closer to commissioning and graduation. Field Training in a nut shell is essentially a 15 day “boot camp” which is very strenuous and is a required step to complete before GMC (General Military Course) underclassman become POC (Professional Officer Course) upperclassman in fall 2019. Over Thanksgiving my early Christmas present was new running shoes and, although I feel I’ve broken them in, as soon as next semester hits I will probably rethink that.  

Some of my family from AFROTC and me after our final Pass in Review ceremony of the semester

Also here’s a picture from when I contracted around this time last year and swore into the United States Air Force, which if I haven’t mentioned before, was an absolutely amazing experience and I 10/10 recommend.

But for now, we are in break and de-stress mode and I will continue to get through the holidays with an open mind, lots of exercising and stretching, and good food. I miss cooking so much, but one thing I do not miss though is the cold weather. Perhaps I’ll have a white Christmas in Virginia? I do prefer the moderate climates a bit more though, as per expected with the majority of my year spent in Florida and other hot places.

For everyone traveling this holiday season, or even just driving a few minutes away, remember to de-stress and relax over break and state safe. Will report back soon! Happy holidays and almost happy new year!

2 thoughts on “RA Life, AFROTC, & Rest

1. Hi Merrick
    I am searching on behalf of my son Ethan who is interested in working as RA at EMBRY. He will graduate 5/2020, hope to join the AFROTC, Flight School.
    It’s a Miracle to find you with all the same interests, and I am just reaching out to seek for advices…
    Ethan has been with NJROTC at North Port HS in Sarasota, Fl. , Title Color Guard Ceremonials Commander In his junior year, very passionate ab Being a Pilot 👨‍✈️
    What step can we take to be RA, would this help to pay for Room& Board
    Ethan love your Blog & Pictures.
    Tanya

• Hi Tanya!

First off thank you and Ethan for reading! RA applications open up during the fall semester and close typically right before winter break. Freshman are eligible to apply their first year for their following sophomore year, and will find out if they received the position sometime in the early spring! Requirements for the position include a minimum a 2.5 cumulative GPA and 2.0 semester GPA, and being in good conduct as we are held to a high standard and expected to follow all federal, state, local laws, and all University policies at all times. RA’s room and board are also paid for as part of compensation for the job in addition to receiving a payroll stipend.