November 27, 2006

Wow, what a weekend!

But first, I’d like to talk about registration:

Registration online was interesting. The upper classmen seemed to have no problem with the registration process, however, unfortunately for the freshmen, the server died as soon as 1000+ students tried to access it at midnight. Some hallmates and I stayed up until about 2:30 to see if it would come back up, but it didn’t. It came back up around 7am, which was around when I was getting up for my first class. I got most of the classes that I wanted, and I’m happy with my schedule. Since I got to pick my own classes this semester, I got to focus more on what I’m really interested in and, of course, what I really need. So next semester I’m taking six courses: Aviation Law, a 2nd Aero Safety course (because I really liked the one I took this semester and I got the same Professor, too), Air Traffic I, Business Management (or something to that effect), Psychology, and Meteorology II. I’m really excited about my first real Air Traffic class, as well as continuing my studies further in my Aero Safety and Meteorology classes. They aren’t required, but I’m trying to decide between the two of them for my minor.

So about registration: Riddle is great because you pick your own schedule, classes, and professors, and Riddle gives you all the information you need to do it yourself: Class schedules (or course), catalogs, and little checklists of everything required for your major. Also, Riddle allows you to take classes at different universities if you don’t want to take them at Riddle. I think over the summer I will be taking an English, Physics, and possibly French class at a community college back home. This is really helpful, since credits at the university get expensive, so it’s nice to have options.

PICK PRE-REQS!!! My roommate gave me top-notch advice: A lot of your upper level classes DEPEND on you getting your pre-requisites in the first few semesters, so it’s really important that you follow your catalog and check all the courses to make sure that you are taking the correct classes that you NEED. Otherwise, you could be stuck taking 100-level courses in your junior and senior year as pre-reqs for courses you really need.

So anyway, all my classes are between 9:15 and 3:30 everyday and that sounds good to me. AND all of my classes except one are in the same building, which is nice. I didn’t plan it that way, I just got lucky I guess.

This past weekend was our Thanksgiving Break! My flight up Tuesday night was terrifying, we flew through a front over the Carolinas and had some really wicked turbulence, everyone was really shook up literally. A few times I got knocked right out of my seat. Weather was bad in Richmond when we landed, too.

It rained through Wednesday as well. Wednesday I got to hang out with my female friends back home. We went to see Stranger Than Fiction, which was cute, but not what I was expecting. Hanging out with the girls was a lot of fun. Not that I don’t absolutely love all my guy friends at Riddle, but sometimes it’s nice to relax in a mostly estrogen environment.

Thursday I had two Thanksgivings. One with my mom at her house, and one with my boyfriend’s family at his parents’ house. Both were great, and I was quite full. I don’t think I could ever get sick of eating “Holiday Meals.” I only wish that I could have brought some home. My dad and brother were visiting my father’s side of the family in Pennsylvania. They told me that everyone is doing really well, which is good to hear.

Friday was mainly uneventful, which is just fine with me. When I went home before, I was doing too much running around, so it was nice when I got to just slow things down and mosey around my town at my leisure. Ryan (my boyfriend) and I went to see “Deja Vu” which was really good. It had Denzel in it, so it was bound to be good. We also visited the mall which were, indeed, crowded. After the movie we went back to my house and Ryan cooked my mother and I some delicious spaghetti with a home-made sauce that was to die for. I was in charge of hors d’oeuvres, so I made a plate of crackers with pimento cheese spread with celery, and cut some pieces of sour dough bread to serve with brie cheese and grapes. Yes, it was good.

Saturday I finally got to fly for the first time since August. It was a ton of fun. I flew a Cessna 172 for the first time. I’d always flown 150s and 152s before. The 172s are a LOT easier to land, but it took a little more muscle to fly. They seem more stable and probably because they are big enough for the wind not to blow them around. There is a lot of construction going on at my former workplace, but it looks like it’s going really well. I’m hoping more of it will be done when I visit for the Christmas break.

Sunday I hung out with my Dad and his girlfriend all day, since they were back from Pennsylvania. We went out to lunch and looked at some houses for sale in the area. They want to move soon.

Flight back was good and not nearly as crowded as I thought it was going to be, even Atlanta wasn’t so bad. Steve picked me up at the airport (thank you, Steve, you’re a lifesaver) and we got back to Riddle around 1:30.

And that’s about all I have to report. As always, send any question or comments to me at rumbebb5@erau.edu or just post them on the message boards!

This entry was posted in 2006 – 2007 by Cat. Bookmark the permalink.

About Cat

I love how all the classes are like an hour long. It's just perfect. My point is that even when you can't laze around in the sun at the beach or have a cookout in the pits outside, there's still stuff to do. Shopping, movies, and bowling.