March 27

Spring Break is over, and I’m pretty bummed. I definitely had an amazing spring break, but now it is time to go back to the real world. The end of the year is right around the corner and there is still a lot that I need to do. So, time to get back to work and start getting things done! Since last week was spring break, there hasn’t been much going on in my classes, but I’ll see what I can remember.

TTh – Physics 104 – I know we have a test coming up in a week or two, so I know I’ll be studying some time soon. But other than that, not to much to write about.

TTh – Basic Aeronautics II – We took our second test before spring break, and I didn’t do as well as I wanted. When I took the first test, I felt prepared and I knew that I knew the material. This past test wasn’t exactly like that; it was more of a surprise. I ended up with a C, so I didn’t fail it or anything, but now I’m going to have to work on bringing up my average.

MWF – Air Traffic Control I – Once again, not to much to write about in here. We are getting ready for our next test which should be in about 2 weeks or so. Other than that, yep.

MWF – Intro to Psychology – Since spring break was last week, there is once again nothing new to write. So use your imagination to come up with an interesting story that sounds like something I would write!

Flight – Well, there are some new things going on with my flying. First off, I had my first local solo and it was amazing! I already soloed in December, but that was when I flew to an airport, dropped off my instructor, and flew in the traffic pattern. Now, for my local solo I never saw my instructor and I was 100% alone! I left Daytona and did some maneuvers around the area then flew to Ormond Beach and did a couple landings. It was pretty incredible to think that just a couple months ago I had never flown a plane and now I’m the pilot, the only pilot! My next activity is a solo cross-country, so I will probably fly to Gainesville all alone. I’ll be sure to let you know how that goes.

Well, for spring break I got to see a lot of my friends from high school and we had way too much fun. I started off the break by driving with 6 of my friends to North Carolina to stay in one of my friend’s cabin. The drive alone was an adventure, but then we all went snowboarding. I have been snowboarding for about 2 years along with my other friend, then 2 of my friends have only been once, and then the other 3 friends have never been before. So we definitely had some fun. There are so many stories that I could tell, but that would take way too long. Some of the highlights: My friend Freddy being towed behind the ski patrol down the mountain, the random freeze blasts, and learning first hand that driving fast in the snow and on ice is probably not a good idea unless you want to see the side of the road up close. We drove up to NC on Thursday, snowboarded on Friday and Saturday, and then drove back on Sunday. It was a short trip, but it was a blast. Hopefully, we will do it again next year.

After I got back on Sunday, I went home and then on Monday I flew out to Colorado to see my friend Alex. I went to high school with Alex and he is now attending the University of Colorado at Boulder. So I flew out to see him and do some serious snowboarding. I was out there for a week and it was amazing. I have lived in Florida all my life, and I am very grateful when I get the opportunity to go some place cold and snowboard. We went over to Copper and Winter Park and we had a blast. I’m used to snowboarding on the east coast, which means there isn’t a lot of powder but there is ice. Well in Colorado, it snowed one night and even before that there was tons of powder. It was so crazy to be snowboarding and then all of a sudden look down at your knees and you can’t see anything below them. I got stuck on more than one occasion, more like 100 occasions. It was such a different experience than I am use too, and I loved it! We did a lot of riding all over; we were in the trees, goin’ over moguls, in the terrain parks, everywhere! I’m already planning my next trip out there some time next year. It should be a blast!

While I was in Colorado, we did a bunch of other stuff as well. We went to a place called Boondocks which is the best place ever! They had go-karts, mini-golf, a huge arcade, and laser tag. We went and spent hours there and had so much fun. They had a strict rule about bumping for the go-karts, but that didn’t stop me from wiping out anyone that got near me. We went with one of Alex’s friends and I tried at every opportunity to wreck them. We also played laser tag, and my teammate was this 10 year-old who had been playing all day. Let’s just say that we crushed them and our score was very very good. Then we played some arcade games and some other games that you play and get tickets. The ticket games are a rip off because you barely get any tickets and all the good prizes are worth 10,000 tickets, so we didn’t play too many ticket games. But there was this one game, it was broken and wouldn’t stop spewing out tickets. Instead of telling anyone, we just got them to put more tickets in the machine after it spewed all them out. I’m not sure why it kept spilling tickets, but it did so we just kept collecting them. When we decided that we had enough tickets, we told someone else and they started to collect tickets. We ended up with around 1800 tickets and we split them up into 3 sets of 600 and gave them to different kids. So, maybe it was wrong to just keep getting tickets out of an obviously broken machine without telling anyone it was broken, but in the end we made 3 kids real happy. So I don’t have a guilty conscious.

Other than snowboarding and Boondocks, I got to meet a bunch of Alex’s friends, eat out at a bunch of delicious local restaurants, and did some hiking on some mountains. Overall the whole trip was a blast. Well, I’d hate to have another short journal, but I have to make sure I get back into the rhythm of school. I have so much I need to do in the next couple of weeks, and I can hardly believe there is only 5 weeks left! So I’m going to go get some stuff done, and next journal I will write and write and write until everyone is tired of reading! Yay! Also, I will put up some videos on the web soon, so be sure to check themsoon. See ya!

-Blake
email: wasteofsoap@yahoo.com
aim: wasteofsoap
videos: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=blakeguiles

This entry was posted in 2006 – 2007 by Blake. Bookmark the permalink.

About Blake

**Hometown:** DeBary, Florida **Why I chose Embry-Riddle:** Ever since I was little I knew that I wanted to fly, and ever since I knew about Embry-Riddle I wanted to go here.