September 22, 2008

Things are really starting to pick up around here! It seems like I have no spare time. It’s funny how involved you can become so quickly. I am a member of Task Force One (TFO), and this week we elected our new officers. TFO is a group of first year students who work with Student Government to help get the younger voices on campus heard. We also plan social events and do group community service projects. I have a lot of confidence in the new officers, and I am excited to begin planning some of these activities.

My roommate is a member of the Embry-Riddle club Rugby team, and today a group of us went to see one of the games. I don’t know much about rugby, but it is a lot of fun to watch. The girls played first against South Florida and then the guys played Florida State. Although both teams lost, they played really hard and it was VERY intense. My roommate hit an FSU player so hard his left contact fell out! I now understand why my roommate comes back from the matches so sore!!!

Classes have become a lot more demanding recently. The work load is becoming larger and larger, and I have begun taking some pretty important exams. I had a large exam in HU140 this week, and I have exams scheduled in the next few days in SS120, IT109, and MA111. It is very difficult to study for the first test in each class, because each professor has their own format. With all this required studying, time management is becoming crucial, and I am starting to appreciate the weekends a lot more!

Throughout this first month, I have certainly found many pros and cons about campus. The thing I love about Riddle is how relaxed it is. Although we do a lot of work, it is still a great place to chill and hang with friends. Whether you’re reading by the pool, joining a random volleyball game, or hanging out in one of the student lounges, it is always nice to kick back for a few minutes and take a break. The main annoyance I have found thus far is just a personal issue. The toilet in our room has broken down three times in two weeks and has left myself and my suite mates without bathroom facilities for more than 90 hours. However as I always say, there are two ways to look at every situation, and the broken toilet has brought many laughs and a lot of priceless memories. (And our next door neighbors have been very gracious about allowing us to use their facilities!!)

I hope in these next days I do well on my exams and allow myself ample time to study. I am optimistic that our toilet is fixed for good (although I am not convinced) and this week goes by with few distractions.

Until next time,
Mack

This entry was posted in 2008 – 2009 and tagged , , , , by Mack. Bookmark the permalink.

About Mack

**Minor:** Air Traffic Control, Business Administration, International Relations **Activities:** Intramural Sports, Task Force One, Student Journal Writer, Delta Upsilon, European Aviation Appreciation, Study Abroad **Career Goals:** To work as an air traffic controller or manager at a large airport. **Why I chose Embry-Riddle:** To achieve my lifelong dream of working in the aviation industry.