February 22, 2010

Hello, again! I’m pleased to tell you that the weather hit a turning point today and it climbed into the 70s! I took full advantage of the beautiful day and headed outside to work on homework.

Let’s take a look back on the past two weeks: I worked the Daytona 500 and got sunburned, had my first test of the semester, saw a huge spider at work, and got accepted into the MBA program. My job working at the Daytona 500 was to stand at one of the gates and tear tickets. The weather was freezing and I didn’t even think about needing sunscreen; however, the sun was shining and I spent the day looking directly at it. After two years of getting burnt, I will remember the sunscreen next year. My first test was in my Ethics class and I think it went well, but I won’t know for sure until Tuesday. This week I have my first test in Airline Management and I’m thinking it shouldn’t be that bad. The spider at work freaked me out because I hate spiders; thank goodness he’s no longer a problem! I was excited to see the big envelope in my mailbox and when I opened it there was the acceptance letter, so now it’s official that I’m going to do my MBA. Yippee!

The other day while I was working, I met an Embry-Riddle freshman who was just checking out the airport and he asked me what there was to do in the Daytona area. I figured if a new student wants to know what there is to do, then a prospective student probably does too. With that said, I’ve created a list of things to do in and around Daytona whether you are visiting the area or coming to school:

1. The Beach
    Daytona is home to the World Famous Beach and is a great place to have some fun. You can lounge around, go for a swim, or try surfing—just have a good time!
  2. Ponce Inlet Lighthouse
    The lighthouse is a good place to go for a bird’s eye view of the city! Also, you can learn about the history of the lighthouse and tour some of the other buildings.
  3. Ocean Walk Shoppes
    If you want to see a movie or grab a burger at Johnny Rockets, then the Ocean Walk Shoppes is where you want to head. After the movie, you can get some ice cream from Cold Stone and walk down to the beach.
  4. Putt-putt or Miniature Golf
    There are at least ten putt-putt places in Daytona, so you never run out of options! My favorite is Pirate’s Island because the whole place is a pirate theme and the course winds up a hill and around waterfalls.
  5. The Dairy Bar
    I love ice cream! Back home I work at a place that used to be called the Dairy Bar, so I couldn’t believe it when I found one down here. The ice cream is pretty good and you get to sit and eat it at wooden picnic tables.
  6. Angel and Phelps Chocolate Factory
    They offer free tours of their chocolate factory and at the end of the tour you get a free taste test. Who doesn’t love chocolate?
  7. Daytona Lagoon
    At Daytona Lagoon you can play laser tag, putt-putt, drive go-karts, or go splash around in the water park. If you have a group of people and want to have a few hours of fun, this is the place to go.
  8. Daytona Beach Airport
    Of course you want to come and check out the airport! Behind the Daytona Speedway you can park and watch planes take-off and land.
  9. Daytona Flea Market
    If you ever wanted to see a lot of “treasures” in one place, you have found the spot. I have found some good deals on Daytona Beach apparel here.

There are plenty of things for you to do in Daytona besides go to class! I’m looking forward to Spring Break, so I can go do some fun things besides homework! I hope that wherever you are that it warms up soon and you can have this wonderful Florida weather.

Until next time,

Kaleigh