May 2010

It is unbelievable that I have already finished my first year here at Embry-Riddle. It seems each year goes by faster and faster. After attending Rochester Institute of Technology for two years and now Embry-Riddle for one year, I finally caught hold of something, a dream that has inspired me, to take a chance, a leap of faith perhaps, to try something new and challenging.

I have lots planned for this summer break which I am anxious to get underway. I am getting involved with a team of students to formulate a research and design experiment for NASA’s Microgravity Competition. It will be an awesome opportunity to try and earn a spot in the contest which will enable us to fly our experiment onboard NASA’s Reduced Gravity Aircraft, aka “Weightless Wonder”, or better known as “The Vomit Comet”. I have seen pictures, videos, and even heard from people who have actually experienced the 0g sensation. Now I might have the chance to experience it myself!

I am still waiting to hear how well I placed in the NASA Art Contest. Judging is supposed to commence next month and my patience is diminishing as I wait to hear the results! I received honorable mention last year so I am hoping I improved this year.

The other activity I have planned for is to develop a website featuring a collection of my 3D models and digital art. A big hobby of mine is learning how to use various 3D software applications to design random things. I was looking over my previous journal postings as I thought I mentioned this already once but I guess I did not. A few years back I had started a website, Mammoth Pictures, to share my work. As I got more involved with my studies, the less time I spent on web development. So, I am going to give it another attempt, this time though with the help of a friend. The new website, Virtual Aerospace, will feature 3D models of aircraft and spacecraft along with digital space art. I am really excited to be working on it with another colleague from school and the site should be fully available in the upcoming weeks.

This will be my final sign off for this year. I hope you have learned something from reading my monthly journal whether it be something about the school or a certain experience that I have shared. I enjoyed hearing from some of you throughout the year and if there are any questions regarding the campus or anything relating to the Aerospace Engineering program here at Embry-Riddle, I will be more than willing to answer back. You may contact me via e-mail at wlodarcs@my.erau.edu I look forward to hearing from you!

As always, you can continue to follow me throughout the summer break on my blog, Working My Way into Space. It is great to look back now after this year and see how much I have accomplished… the experience thus far has been phenomenal and there is plenty more to come!

Until then, see you out there!

This entry was posted in 2009 – 2010 by Stephan. Bookmark the permalink.

About Stephan

**Career Goals:** To establish a career with NASA **Why I chose Embry-Riddle:** I was recommended by a colleague about Embry-Riddle. He mentioned that the institute has the number one aerospace engineering program in the nation.