Shifting to Online

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is adjusting well to online schooling. I know that things right now are not quite ideal, but I hope that everyone is staying safe and being cautious. I’m sure that has been said and heard a thousand times, but I just wanted to reinforce it. I also want to talk about organization and ways to make sure you are keeping track in this blog, because, if you’re like me, online schooling may not be your strong suit.

I personally have had a lot of issues staying on track, staying motivated, and keeping track of my school schedule. Some professors help by doing online virtual lectures, whereas others just add more work and reading. With that, it can feel a little bit over whelming, especially of you have full-time classes and other obligations. Which brings me to the tips I want to share:

Tip #1: Stick to Your Schedule

Try to focus on your classes at the corresponding times you would’ve met up with them in person. This is the main thing that’s been really helping me stay on track and stay motivated. With Monday, Wednesday, and Friday being my long days with 4 classes each an hour long, I have been able to really get my work done and get through the slides and reading that those professors left for me to read and review. Because I have been using this method to do my work, I have been able to stop about the same time I stop school on campus and carry out the rest of my day to do whatever.

Tip #2: Put it in Your Planner

My next tip is to use a planner. Most professors have changed up their learning plan and have adjusted schedules. In order to keep track of the new work and dates I suggest recording them or finding a method that suits you to keep track. Whether that means a planner on your phone, a calendar, or printing the syllabus. This way you don’t confuse yourself or forget about tests or assignments without the professor reminding us when our next test is or when that final paper is due.

Tip #3: Create Your Space

As far as staying motivated and focused go, I would advise sitting at a desk or a table of some sort that’s well-lit and devoted to work. Try not to lay in bed to do your work and school, believe me I have tried. The difference between working at a desk in a chair instead of lounging in bed is huge and works wonders for your brain. This is partly because of a psychological aspect. Typically, when you’re in bed, your mind associates that to sleeping or relaxing, I promise it just makes you a little lazier than your need to be.

Tip #4: Don’t Panic – Manage Your Stress

My final tip to everyone is not to stress or panic. I know we are in crazy times and that the work load of online schooling is more then we all bargained for, but if you take my advice and dedicate times of the day to your classes, the stress will not be as bad. Wake up every morning, eat some breakfast and get to work with your classes as if you were going to classes in person. As soon as you’re finished for the day just relax. Watch a movie, chef it up in the kitchen, exercise, call a friend or read a book. Do whatever you need to during this hard time, try to keep things as normal as possible and focus on the future.