May 8, 2006

I’m sitting in my Houston apartment, it’s 8:30 pm and I am exhausted but can’t wait for tomorrow to begin. Today was day one as a Continental Airlines Intern. I still can’t believe I’m here; it seems like a dream still.

The day began early with my alarm sounding at 5:15 am. I had worked out a shower schedule with my roommates so we would be out the door by 6:15. The drive to work had been given a dry run in the days before. I had come out to Houston four days earlier with my girlfriend and just explored the city. We took in an Astros baseball game (we won and I’m now a life long fan), visited the aquarium, took in some of the Houston night life and celebrated Cinco de Mayo in one of the many Mexican restaurants within Houston. Two days ago I moved in to the apartment that I share with two other Continental Interns. There are 12 Interns in all, 10 in Houston, one in Newark , and one in Cleveland .

The department I’ll be working in for the next four months is the Flight Safety Department at Continental. I am so happy that I’ve been given the opportunity to work in this department. As a safety minor within the Aeronautical Science degree program the knowledge I have acquired over the past three years will be put to good use. I will be entering data into the computer system as well as traveling to other airports to perform safety audits. These audits are to ensure that Continental ramps, gates and concourses comply with federal regulations. On top of my daily work we will be taking high altitude training, sitting in on Boeing 777 ground school classes, visiting the airport rescue and firefighting facility, traveling to Newark to visit the east coast hub, and the crown of the internship, MD-80 training. And let’s not forget about the unlimited domestic jump seating. We are encouraged to travel on weekends and see the world, from the flight deck.

For now I still have to iron my shirt for tomorrow, study some manuals, study up on the company for the safety meeting I’ll be sitting in on tomorrow and most important Ill be getting some sleep.

This entry was posted in 2013 - 2014 by Lyle. Bookmark the permalink.

About Lyle

**Minor:** Safety **Class Year:** Senior **Company:** Continental Airlines **Position:** Flight safety intern **Hometown:** White Plains, Maryland **Career goal:** To be a pilot