May 15, 2006

It’s been a busy week here in Houston. I had my first jump seat experience this weekend and it was amazing! I flew from Houston to Washington, D.C. to visit my parents for Mother’s Day. I have flown into D.C. a hundred times but never seen the flight from the flight deck. I learned so much about flying large transport category aircraft by just observing the crew. It is a great learning experience and the free travel isn’t bad either.

I begin MD80 simulator training next week and I am scrambling to learn all the aircraft systems and checklists before the first day of ground school. I am in the first group of interns to take part in the simulator course and am not sure what to expect or exactly what to study , so I will just have to study everything.

Tonight some of the interns and I went to the Astros baseball game to see Barry Bonds try to hit homerun number 714. Even though the Astros lost and Bonds didn’t get his homerun it was good to sit down with the other interns to talk about what we have been doing. We really don’t see too much of each other, at least the interns we don’t room with. We wake up early and stay late at work or at the training center studying MD80 systems. I t seems like I walk into the apartment and it’s already 9 p.m. I haven’t eaten yet, still in my dress clothes, catch up with my roommates and by the time I look over my e-mail and relax it’s midnight and time to head to bed to wake up at 6 to catch the shower rotation. But I can’t complain , I love it here and look forward to every day.

This week I’m planning on jump seating down to Orlando to visit my girlfriend, I’m a little worried because it can be tough to get flights into and out of Orlando, especially in the summer months. But ill check the loads before I head out to the airport.

This entry was posted in 2013 - 2014 by Lyle. Bookmark the permalink.

About Lyle

**Minor:** Safety **Class Year:** Senior **Company:** Continental Airlines **Position:** Flight safety intern **Hometown:** White Plains, Maryland **Career goal:** To be a pilot