October 16

Well here it is in mid-October and I’m already nearly half way through the year. As more time goes by, the more I get into a routine and the more normal college feels. The first couple of weeks went by and it was somewhat surreal. Everything just felt weird, but now I am getting use to it and I definitely think that it is a positive change. College is certainly a fun experience, at least so far.

I guess I’ll start with my classes as usual:

Speech- I am finished with my 3rd speech which is an “informative speech.” It is about skydiving, and I can’t wait to present it. A lot of people’s speeches are usually serious and not very exciting. But I can’t do that. No matter what I do, I always try to incorporate some sort of humor in it. I don’t like to be monotone and boring; I like to be funny and exciting. For my first speech I made fun of myself for 3 minutes and for my second I read a couple pages of George Carlin’s book. As more time goes by, I tend to open up and be my usual goofy self. So I can’t wait for my next speech.

Physics- I did good on my first exam, but my second exam that is coming up is getting me kinda worried. So I’m going to make sure that I study extra hard to keep my A in the class.

Business- The hardest part of this class is to convince people in my group to show up to every class. I have yet to miss a class, but some of my group only shows up about half the time. So that can be a pain sometimes, but hopefully my group will get that worked out.

Basic Aeronautics- This class is still one of my favorites because it’s all about planes. Being a flight student at Embry-Riddle, planes fascinate me. I never knew that so much work went into designing and operating a plane. I definitely have a lot of respect for the pilots who make it seem so easy.

College Success- Nothing new in this class really. I took a mid-term a couple of days ago. 100/100. Yep.

Meteorology- My professor is definitely pretty crazy. I enjoy his corny jokes and totally random comments. This class keeps me entertained to say the least.

Flight- I now have over 12 hours as a pilot, so I’m pretty much official. If I were on a 747 and the pilot fell asleep, I would so be able to navigate and land safely. Well almost. Actually, I wouldn’t want to put myself in that situation yet. Maybe when I break 25 hours. I flew on Friday the 13th which was pretty exciting, but I didn’t go far. I am currently learning traffic patterns, so I just flew in and out of the airport. I did a total of about 6 or 7 landings and take-offs. Not the most fun thing to do in a plane, but I like the fact that I can see myself progressing. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still not anywhere near the best, but I am getting better. So that’s pretty exciting.

So as far as school goes, that’s pretty much it. I find myself with very little free time, but I’m staying busy and having fun.

Just recently I drove down to Tampa with my girlfriend and two friends to see the Tampa Bay Lightning, and it was awesome! They played the Florida Panthers and won 4-1. Like I said before, I’m not a real big sports guy, but being in that arena and watching Vincent Lecavalier score the first goal 5 minutes into the game is incredible! I was so pumped all through the game and I was so glad to see them win. I’ll post some pictures up on the website so be sure to check those out soon.

Speaking of sports, my intramural volleyball team is off to a rocky start. So far we are 0-2 with only 2 more games before playoffs. I know that our team isn’t the best in terms of winning, but we definitely have the most fun. We constantly make our own players and other teams laugh because we have such a good time. Other teams tend to yell at their players but we just laugh and have a good time. We may not be the champions at the end of the season, but I can guarantee we have the most fun, and that’s all that matters (aside from winning).

Other than that, I haven’t really done anything else too exciting this past 2 weeks. I have been keeping myself very busy though, but the load is getting lighter so I will hopefully be doing some more fun things soon. I’ll be sure to keep you all posted if anything happens over the next 2 weeks. Until then, hopefully this weather is going to get a little colder in Florida and hope all is going well with all of you out there. If you enjoy reading this, let me know, and if you don’t, make sure you keep that to yourself! Later

-Blake
email: wasteofsoap@yahoo.com
aim: wasteofsoap

This entry was posted in 2006 – 2007 by Blake. Bookmark the permalink.

About Blake

**Hometown:** DeBary, Florida **Why I chose Embry-Riddle:** Ever since I was little I knew that I wanted to fly, and ever since I knew about Embry-Riddle I wanted to go here.