December 28, 2008

My time at home has been enjoyable and relaxing—just what I needed! I think I have caught up on my sleep and am ready to head back to school for another great semester. The weather here has been pretty strange and unfortunately there hasn’t been any snow since the first two days I was home. Mostly, there has been rain that has turned into ice. Yesterday, the temperature reached 60 degrees and I decided to go for a run in the country. Well, it was raining a little when I started and I thought to myself “No big deal, I have run before when it was drizzling.” Turns out there was a severe thunderstorm warning and in the middle of my run it begins to pour and the winds picked up—tornado weather at the end of December, crazy! I ran a little while longer and then decided I should probably turn around and head for home; however the wind was blowing forcefully against me and I was cold and wet, so I called my mom and had her come rescue me. Next time, I plan on listening to the weather before going running!

Since I have enough college credits to be classified as a junior, the time has come for me to officially declare my Area of Concentration. In the business degree, there are three different Areas of Concentration: airline management, airport management, and general studies. Before coming to ERAU I had decided upon airport management; however, after thinking about what I want to do in the future and after talking to some people I haven’t been so sure. Now, I have decided upon general studies because I can take a mixture of airline and airport classes rather than choosing all airline or airport. So when I get back to school, I will go see my advisor (Dottie) and fill out some paperwork. A note to all future students enrolling in the business program at Daytona—the degree has changed a little and there are now two business majors and you decide which one you want to do your sophomore year. To find out more information click on this link http://www.erau.edu/db/degrees/b-bizadmin.html. If you have any questions, just send me an e-mail.

My time at home is quickly coming to an end, but I’m cramming in as much stuff as possible—shopping, baking cookies, and visiting with family and friends. I’m looking forward to my classes next semester and I have already ordered my textbooks! You can buy your books from the campus bookstore or you can order them on line to check out and see which has the better deals. After a semester, talk to other people in your major and see if you can trade books. Otherwise, check online at websites like Amazon or eBay to save some money.

Until next time,
Kaleigh