January 7, 2009

Well hello to all out there!  Seems as though I was just finishing finals for last semester and here we are ready to start another.  To start, I’ll share a little bit about myself since I am a new resident student to Riddle.  My name is Josh Daily, and I am from the panhandle of Florida.  It’s roughly a six hour drive from campus, which is perfect; not too close to home, but not too distant either.  I was lucky enough to have an ERAU extended campus in my high school back home (Choctawhatchee Aviation Institute), so I was able to complete 18 credit hours of coursework for free while I was in high school. After high school, I attended Northwest Florida State College for last semester because unfortunately, I had to have surgery on my wrist forcing me to stay close to home.  In any case, I am here now!  I am an Air Traffic Management major here at the Daytona Beach campus.  I aspire to work in the ATC world in some way, shape, or form.

Transitioning into living at college could not have gone smoother for me.  I was really surprised at how well organized this whole operation is managed and run.  I had heard some horror stories from upper-classmen about the strains of housing assignments, registration, and adjusting to life on campus.  But honestly, the staff and students at Embry-Riddle are truly one of a kind.  I was assigned to Doolittle residence hall, and it took me all of five minutes to receive my keys and paperwork.  Before I knew it, I was all moved in!  I have been happy living in the dorms so far, and everyone seems to be really friendly.  From what I hear, Doolittle residents have some of the closest relationships due to the layout of the suites.  Eight students share a common bathroom facility here, which might sound terrible, but it’s really not bad at all.

Registration was probably the most painful part of the process, but it still took me less than thirty minutes.  Because I am a transfer student, registering for classes was problematic because some of the courses I had taken in previous semesters did not line up with the course outline here at Riddle.  On top of that, incoming students in the spring terms must wait until arriving on campus to sign up for their courses.  This situation presents the challenge of finding the courses you need, but digging to find ones that aren’t full.  For me, I wasn’t able to take any air traffic classes this semester for that reason.  But, the classes I did sign up for are needed in the long run, so no worries!  Speaking of classes…

Here’s my schedule:

MWF: SF210 Aviation Safety,  WX301 Aviation Weather,  PS103 Physics w/ lab

TTH:    BA201 Management,  IT109 Intro to Computers

Anyhow, classes start tomorrow and I’m really looking forward to this semester!  So far I have done nothing but goof around on campus and hang out with my newly found brethren of Doolittle’s 3rd East wing.  Food here is pretty good so far, and the meal plan set-up is quite neat.  Whether playing volleyball, tennis, or football, playing some Xbox in the room, or just simply walking around campus enjoying the weather here in Daytona, there seems to always be something going on.  I’m sure I’ll find tons of other activities to do outside my studies to keep me occupied while on my downtime.

Well, that’s all for now.  I’ll be sure to update as often as I can to keep all of you readers out there informed.  If anyone has any questions about academics, dorm life, or student activities just shoot me and email and I’ll be sure to respond as soon as I can!  Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from all of you out there.  Be sure to let me know when you get your acceptance letters!

Josh
Daily539@erau.edu

This entry was posted in 2008 – 2009 and tagged , by Josh. Bookmark the permalink.

About Josh

**Minor:** Aviation Safety **Age:** 19 **Hometown:** Fort Walton Beach, FL **Career Goals:** To be an air traffic controller for the FAA, or a supervisor of personnel in the aviation industry. **Activities:** Football, Video Games, Student Journal Writer **Why I chose Embry-Riddle:** Because I wanted the best training possible for my field, and the caliber of Embry-Riddle is unmatched by any other school.