March 8, 2009

Hello everyone! I can’t believe it is already March. In less than two months, I graduate from college. That is incredibly hard to believe. I am extremely excited to see what the future brings as I step foot into the real world.

The past few weeks have been extremely exciting and busy at the same time. The first topic of discussion is my weather class. Remember the long weather project I mentioned in my last journal entry? Well, my seven member group and I presented our findings last week to the class. It is amazing just how different weather can be in another country. We studied the Middle East and determined how weather affects aircraft operations. Our presentation was 2 hours long and consisted of 170 power point slides. Whew, that was a long one. But, the good news is that we learned a lot about international weather.

Another exciting thing I experienced over the past few weeks came about when I decided to apply for another internship. I did an internship last summer as many of you may already know. It was the best summer of my life! Because of that fact, I am trying to get one more internship this summer before I step foot into the real world. Last summer, I worked in the safety department at Continental Airlines. This was the first time I have ever worked with safety information. I loved it. Because of this fact, I decided to apply for a paid safety internship with Southwest Airlines this summer. Southwest is based in my home town of Dallas, Texas, therefore this would be a perfect opportunity. I would be able to live at home and still have the time of my life. I am flying to Dallas this Wednesday for an interview, wish me luck!

Finally, I had an extremely awesome week with my flight students. First off, my private pilot student flew by himself last Friday for the first time. This was a truly amazing experience for the both of us. We flew to New Smyrna Airport early Friday morning. When it was time for him to solo, I went up into the control tower and watched my student fly an airplane completely by himself. I was extremely proud of him! Taking a student from not knowing anything about flying, to flying an airplane completely by himself is the best feeling in the world. Secondly, yesterday, my instrument student passed his checkride on his first try! He was a Korean student I have been working with since the beginning of last semester. Now he is fully certified to fly in the clouds! I love my job!

Spring break is coming up!!! I’m going to stay in Daytona and catch up on some of my projects and chill at the beach. I hope everyone has a nice and relaxing break. Time to finish up my homework for the evening.

This entry was posted in 2008 – 2009 by allen624. Bookmark the permalink.

About allen624

**Minor:** Aviation Weather **Age:** 21 **Hometown:** Dallas, TX **Career Goals:** To become a captain for a major airline. **Activities:** Part time flight instructor at Embry-Riddle Team Safety Leader **Why I chose Embry-Riddle:** I wanted to go to a school that would train me to be the best and safest pilot I could be. The discipline and professionalism Embry-Riddle provides for their students has allowed me to achieve this goal.