February 2010

What a great weekend for ERAU athletics! Embry-Riddle basketball’s Coach Ridder achieved the 500th win milestone, and baseball started off their season with a big win. Following his 500th victory, Coach Ridder said a few words, “I hope that the students know that these are not athletes on this team, they are student athletes.” In nearly every class I have this semester, there are several fellow students who play for Embry-Riddle. Unlike big schools, you’ll get to know many of the student athletes here, making the cheering more exciting and the games more enjoyable.

There is a group, called The Flock, that rallies behind and cheers for Embry-Riddle athletics. It is one of the approximate 140 organizations and student groups here at Embry-Riddle. Aside from being a flock member, I am a member of Embry-Riddle’s Collegiate Entrepreneur’s Organization, where students with business ideas can get advice and tips for starting their business. In addition, I am active in the Airport Management Club, and I will be sure to share photos from our upcoming tour of Tampa International Airport.

Classes are progressing fairly well, but they are challenging. Yet the professors do a great job relating the classes to aviation and its industry. My introduction to aeronautical science class, meant for those non-flight students, is taught by a former military pilot. My speech class is taught by a pilot. The professors are top quality, and they possess the background and credentials that give a feeling of assurance and reliability in what they teach.

Later this week I will have an opportunity to head home and visit family and friends. Yes, I am escaping the Daytona 500, but we have next Monday off. The Spring semester does not have as many breaks as the Fall, so I’m trying my best to make the most out of the few we have. We do have a week off for Spring break, and our last day of finals is May 5th – an improvement over some schools up north.

Until later,
Jonathan