April 2010

It is amazing how fast time can fly by at Embry-Riddle. I owe that to my six classes and my two clubs that keep me busy, one of which, Embry-Riddle’s Collegiate Entrepreneurs’ Organization (CEO), I will be the new vice president for next semester! In my other club, Airport Management Club, we were able to tour Tampa International Airport this past Saturday.

Out of all the tours we have done this past year, this was by far my favorite and it is also the largest airport I have toured. We toured their Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting (ARFF) station, which proved to be a state-of-the-art facility. In addition, we got to drive around the airport’s ramp, tour their communications center and baggage handling areas. Naturally, my favorite part was when we were on the ramp. Immediately, whenever an aircraft was nearby, everyone in our group got their cameras out and started taking pictures. You can read more about my tour here http://jetcheck.net/2010/04/19/tour-of-tampa-international-airport/

Unfortunately, this past week was also the most stressful. Every day there was either a project due or a test to be taken. One of my papers, covering the recessionary effects on the aircraft manufacturing industry, totaled 16 pages. A group project, for my advanced computer system class, totaled 20 pages. However, I did not have any homework this past weekend, which let me catch up on sleep I missed.

With about two weeks left here, everyone is making preparations for going home and for coming back next semester. I will be going back up to Pennsylvania the way I came: driving. It is a 16 hour drive, but split between my Dad and I, it should not be too bad. I am excited go back home, but I know I will miss friends here at Embry-Riddle.

Until finals week,
Jonathan