February 17, 2005

Well, as luck may have it, I have, since my last journal, mustered up enough money in my effort to complete my Private Pilot License. Though I now know I will not be able to start my Multi-Engine Rating course, I will at least finish off flying to get my Private License. Flight has been going pretty well around here lately; minus the long wait for an airplane and a few issues with proper procedures, I feel confident that I will be able to pass my test soon. I just went on 3 back-to-back cross country flights: one to just north of Jacksonville, one down into Central Florida, and lastly, one to Melbourne, Florida. All of my flights have been quite fun lately because it isn’t filled with the bickering of an instructor by your side, nor the review of proper procedures for a certain maneuver. I just fly to a destination, arrive there safely, and find my way home. It has been fun, and I can honestly say that flying is truly my passion. I love to fly and know that when I one day make it my career, I will truly enjoy flying as a job and for fun.

On the other hand, we got ‘school.’ School has been laid back this semester for me because of my convenient schedule. I was smart in avoiding early classes and I loaded up my Tuesdays and Thursdays with most of my classes (4 of the 6). This allows me some free time on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays for doing some personal chores. From trying to fix my laptop which I think might have spyware (who doesn’t nowadays), to catching up on some reading. So for all of you incoming freshmen, you won’t have a choice as to what you receive ‘schedule wise’, but you will have a chance to make your own schedule once your second semester rolls around. Make sure to notice what it is that works for you and in which classes you are most awake. Surprisingly, I haven’t felt that sleepy in most of my classes this semester. First, I am not waking up at 4-5 AM to go flying at 6-7 AM. Also, I don’t start my earliest class all week until 11:15 AM. It has been beneficial to both my grades and me, so make sure you make wise decisions when it comes to scheduling, it really does make a difference.

As for other business, it has been quite busy around Daytona lately. With the ‘Speed-weeks’ now leading into the main event, the Daytona 500, more and more people are flooding into the city (even the airspace is full). The traffic I saw this weekend after the ‘Bud Shootout’ reminded me of traffic back home. It was funny to see it here because, for once, I wasn’t a part of it. Traffic in L.A. is as bad as most say it is, trust me, it could be 2 PM or 2 AM, but if you are on the freeways, there is no difference. Traffic is a daily part of life. It’s a good day when you only encounter traffic on two of the three freeways you get on. Anyways, unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get to any of the races. I was there during a few practice sessions, but haven’t seen an official race yet. I wish I had a car; I could go out and about as I pleased. Unfortunately, car equals need for money, and right now, even without the car, I am in need of money.

Well, as all the racing events down at the speedway wind down to an end, Spring Break is next to hit Daytona. That is bound to be an experience. I think my next journal won’t have much about it, but the one after should. Well, I’ll catch all of you later in my next journal. For any of you that may have questions about the school or specifically flight, go ahead and add a message on our message board. I’ll reply ASAP. Til next time, Laters!

Sergio M.

This entry was posted in 2004 – 2005 by Sergio. Bookmark the permalink.

About Sergio

**Age:** 18 **Hometown:** Pico Rivera, CA **Favorite Movie:** Back to the Future trilogy **Favorite Band:** Beastie Boys **Career Goal:** Be an airplane pilot, fly internationally