September 22, 2005

Wow! It’s so hard to believe the third week of school is almost over. I feel like I just got here. At the same time, though, I feel like I’ve been here forever. I’ve already made so many new friends, and they’re amazing. I absolutely love it here. I can’t imagine what it’d be like anywhere else. Embry-Riddle is my home 🙂

Before I get into my experiences here, I should introduce myself. My name is Maria. I am a 17-year-old Applied Meteorology major, here, at the Daytona Beach campus of Embry-Riddle. I’m from Ohio, born and raised, about 14 hours away from here by car. I am the oldest of four. I have two great sisters, Alexa and Phillipa, and a brother, Nicholas. I also have the best parents (don’t we all?!) who have been there for me through everything. Without them, this college experience would be IMPOSSIBLE. Oh.. can’t forget to talk about my BoYFRieND. His name is Monty.. well, it’s Eric, but we won’t be calling him that anytime in the near future. He’s 21-years-old and living back in the OH. I miss him a lot, but we’re doing great. We don’t really have a date on which we became an “official” couple as most other long-term/long-distance couples do. We’ve been hanging out for a little over a year, now.. and things started to get serious around SeNioR PRoM. So, that’s the scoop on the Monty.

My favorite color is pink.. in fact, my entire side of the dorm room (as well as a bit of my roomie’s) is a B-e-a-uTiFuL shade of pink. And I LOVE to eat. I have a lovely stash of junk food in my closet, and it’s getting lower by the day.

Other than that, I’m just your average 17-year-old female.. living in DAYTONA BEACH, FLoRiDa!! Gosh.. I still can’t believe that I can say that. I know I’m here.. trust me, you can feel it when you walk outside (HOT!!).. but it doesn’t seem real. I’m seriously living like four miles away from the Atlantic Ocean. How lucky did I get?!

Anyway, back to the school bit. I got here a week before the first day of orientation. I stayed with my family and boyfriend in a hotel on the beach. The Wednesday of orientation, we got to the school around 10. The students and faculty who took charge of the ordeal were so great. They were full of information and more than ready to do anything they could to help you out. The entire soccer team helped me move into my room 🙂

With my family still being in town, I didn’t spend too much time at school the first few days. When they left, Friday, though, I got my first real taste of what college life was all about. After crying for about 10 minutes (gotta miss the crew!!), I went back to my room and spent some time getting to know my roomie and suitemates. My roomie is from Korea. She already had a few friends, here, since she’d been here an additional day. So, I got to spend some quality time with them before going to the PoOoL PaRTie with my suitemates. It was so much fun. I got to meet a TON of other people, including upperclassmen. And the games were so much fun.

That Saturday or Sunday, I went to the beach with a few people I met around campus. We had dinner and just watched the waves for a bit. It was nice and relaxing.

On Sunday morning, I went to the 11-am church service. It was a good time. I didn’t really know anyone as I walked in, but that changed in a matter of seconds. And, now, we’re all great friends. I haven’t been back yet, because I spent the following weekend with my boyfriend and was sick with a NaSTy cold this past weekend. But.. I do plan on going back. I wish I could make it, this Sunday, but I’m leaving for a wedding in Tennessee, tomorrow.

Sometime over the weekend, I went to the mall. I met a cool upperclassman who gave me a lift because I don’t have my license, right now. Do not speed in Ohio!!

When classes started, Monday, I was so nervous. Most of my teachers were great, though. The same is true for Tuesday.. since classes aren’t the same each day, anymore!

Now, three weeks into the school year, I feel as though I’ve been here forever. I love it. My classes are going well.. I’m struggling a bit with Calculus 1, but my friend, Beth, who is in all but two of my classes with me, has been helping me. She’s already taken the course. So, the material isn’t as new to her. I’m considering a tutor, actually. I’m still undecided.

Yesterday was the Activities Fair. I found EVERYTHING I could ever imagine wanting to do. I found the Meteorology club.. which I’d already attended a meeting for, Young-life, Surf club.. another one I’d already attended a meeting for, Swimming & Diving, and OOO so much more. I cannot wait to get involved.

Last night, Beth and I went to her friends’ pool to try scuba diving at night. It was so much fun, but still being a little sick from that cold I’m getting over, I didn’t stay in long. Her friend, Herbie, made me some chicken and noodle soup, though. It was so sweet. The people here are just perfect. I couldn’t imagine having any better friends.

Well, it’s going on 7:00. I have to get started on an English paper. I look forward to the next time I get to share with ya’ll.

This entry was posted in 2005 – 2006 by Maria. Bookmark the permalink.

About Maria

**Age:** 18 **Hometown:** Fairfield (near Cincinnati), Ohio **Favorite Movie:** Beauty & The Beast **Favorite Band:** Rascal Flatts **Career Goal:** Graduate in 4 years with a 4.0 GPA **Interests:** Swimming and diving, traveling, shopping, photography, interior decorating