January 26, 2006

I am glad to report I finally have my routine down for this semester. My schedule on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays is not as bad as I originally anticipated it to be. The weeks already seem to be flying by and I have been very busy lately. I like all of my classes except economics because I mean bottom line, it’s not very interesting. I originally thought humanities was going to be dry and boring as well, but I actually enjoy going to that class as well as all of my other ones. We are learning about early renaissance art right now and I never realized how genius the artists were back in that time period. That class kind of gives you a different outlook on life and I am surprised I am so intrigued by it.

Intro to Business is kind of fun because the professor tries to get you to think outside of the box and make rational decisions. It is always interesting to hear the ideas other people in my class have come up with as well as their reasoning behind them. Aerospace safety class is also very interesting, we are going over aircraft crashes and faults behind what lead to them. It is at eight in the morning, but the slides he shows us and the topic make it worth waking up for it. Finally, what most of you have been waiting for, my ATC class is very interesting too. Right now we are reviewing the 7110.65 which is like the complete instruction book of an air traffic controller. We are learning in more detail about aircraft separation, controller terminology, and some other basic instructions so we will be prepared on February 10th when we enter the simulator lab. Our one objective so far in the class is get ten hours of simulator time by the 10th. Unfortunately I have been procrastinating a little with that, I still have plenty of time until the cutoff date, but I want to do all the time before the rush is on.

Besides academics, Embry-Riddle just had the activities fair the other day again for the Spring Semester. Once again there were tables everywhere for each individual club you could join, it is really cool to see how much extra stuff this school has to offer. I worked my Fraternity “Sigma Pi’s” table for a few hours and we got a good amount of interests.

This past Saturday I was actually initiated into the Sigma Pi Fraternity which I am really happy and proud about. It took a lot of work and effort, but after being initiated it was all worth it. The ritual was unlike anything I have ever experienced and it meant a lot to me, so now I am an official “Brother.” Just in time for the “Meet the Greeks” day. It is a day where all of the Greek organizations set up booths and try to recruit people. Since I was a Brother for it, I was able to wear our Sigma Pi letters, which I did honorably. Now we are currently in the middle of Rush week, when we meet the prospective pledges and see if they are qualified to pledge our organization. It also gives the prospectives a chance to see if they like us Brothers and want to pledge our organization. We had some awesome events so far and last night we had a good band play at our BBQ on the west lawn, we had a good turn out.

Well, that’s it for this entry, I know it was long but there has been so much going on. I definitely recommend going Greek here at Riddle because it is so much fun and it will shape anyone’s character into something even better then who they think they are. To all of you high school students, good luck with everything concerning acceptance into this school and do not stress too much. If you do get in, it will be one of the best experiences of your life and I guarantee that, good luck everyone.