April 24, 2006

It’s the last journal entry already! I can’t believe it. The beginning of the school year seems like just yesterday, with moving in, orientation week, meeting everyone for the first time, NSOP for ROTC and all that. I remember before I got here, I was worried that ROTC was going to be too intense or something, primarily because I second-guess myself a lot, but I totally got into the swing of things, academically and in ROTC. Even though it seems like this year went by so quickly, I still look back and realize that I’ve changed a lot since then. I’ve learned so much, and experienced so many changes, and grown up a lot and become more responsible. I also got used to college stress, which I find to be a lot different than anything you experience at home or in high school. I wouldn’t necessarily say that anyone is worse than the other, but they are different and I think you have to learn how to handle them in different ways.

For my last two weeks at school I moved out of McKay into Doolittle with one of my friends. I just wasn’t getting along with one of my roommates and I realized my efforts to make it work were futile, so I think I made the best decision in moving. Instead of making it an issue of faults, I decided it was best for me to be the one to leave because I had people willing to take me. This also made me learn a few lessons I thought I would share because I’m sure many of you will go through the same thing. Most people are worth the effort of making friends with them, but when there are those that don’t appreciate you or don’t value everyone as a human being like they are, those people are not worth your time, effort, or worries. Also remember, you are in college, away from your parents because you are expected to act like an adult, so act like one. Be responsible for your actions and decisions. Lastly, if someone doesn’t treat you with the respect you deserve, don’t sink to their level and do the same. You will end up feeling a lot better knowing you did the right thing. Getting the last word in isn’t always the most important thing, because in the end it will be obvious who did the right thing, and that is the best part.

ROTC ended for the semester on Friday the 21st with PIR for spring. It felt good knowing I don’t have any more ROTC stuff to think about for the next couple months. I’m also looking forward to the challenges of being a 200 and doing FTP (field training preparation).

On Thursday (April 27th), I’m going to be going home for two weeks between Spring and Summer A. My flight leaves just a couple hours after my last final. As soon as I go home, I just want to lay down on the couch and not get up and just enjoy the solitude for a while. Then I’m going to go hang out with some old friends so we can catch up and maybe go to some shows in Seattle.

It’s so hard to believe that a year of college is already behind me. I just can’t get over that. With all the rough stuff that comes with the first year of college, I really appreciate this first year I had. No matter where you end up going to school, college is definitely worth going to. Well I’ve really enjoyed writing for all of you this year, and I hope everyone has a great summer, and I’ll see some of you either over the summer or next fall! Be sure to say hi to me when you see me! And of course, you can still get in touch with me anytime at kenyonj@erau.edu! Thanks so much for reading everyone!

This entry was posted in 2005 – 2006 by Jez. Bookmark the permalink.

About Jez

**Age:** 17 **Hometown:** Issaquah, WA **Favorite TV Series:** Band of Brothers **Favorite Band:** Bloodhound Gang **Career goal:** To be an officer in the Air Force **Interests:** Music, extreme sports, military, foreign languages