November 13

Woohoo! The end is in sight!

Welcome Back To Riddle Folks! The end of the semester is fast approaching and it shows in every person on campus. Everybody is looking forward to Thanksgiving and their chances to go home for the holidays. However, it is a sad time for some students including myself. I will not be able to attend Thanksgiving back in California with my family. Unfortunately, the round-trip ticket to get home and back would have cost about $700. Don’t get me wrong. I love my family and they love me, but not that much. On a serious note though, I will miss my family this season and I look forward to getting to see them over Winter Break. But have no fear my online journal friends, 2,600 miles and $700 is not going to completely ruin my Holiday. There are many other students staying on campus including my totally awesome friend from Bulgaria, Boris. It will be his first Thanksgiving and we plan to show him all the traditions. We will also probably spend time hanging out around town and playing video games because video games rock! After Thanksgiving, our sights will be set on Winter Break, which I am very stoked about. Why? Because winter means snow and snow means snowboarding. That’s enough of that for now because it is making me wish I were back on the slopes already.

On to current events, I was moved off of Wood Hall this past week. I am officially a resident of Adams Hall 3rd Floor now. To be completely honest with you, I am split about how this situation was handled. For those of you who don’t know yet, many of the rooms on Adams and Wood Halls were tripled at the beginning of the semester. Throughout the semester the Department of Housing and Residence Life has been “de-tripling” the rooms and moving students around. I personally do not agree with breaking students away from their halls and the relationships they have built because it breaks up the social fabric for that student. However, I understand that they are trying to give each student what they paid for and that includes a room with only two residents occupying it. The other fact is that the policy states that whichever student turned in their paperwork last would be moved. So, I understand the situation and it teaches me to get my paperwork in order sooner next time. It was an unfortunate situation but I feel I am adapting well. I spend a lot of my time back on Wood Hall 5th Floor still because that is where all my friends are. I will admit that I do enjoy having more space in my new room to store all my stuff. I do not feel as cramped anymore and I am sure that this whole situation will work out for the best.

As far as the past two weeks are concerned, not too much has been happening. ERRSA just finished Residence Hall Week where we planned a weeks worth of events for the students. We have gone out and about around the city on the weekends. I have been looking into off-campus housing for next Fall. On-campus housing is not that bad, I am just used to having my own room and being able to do what I want, when I want. Hence, next year I will be living off-campus.

I also have been preparing to register for my classes for the Spring Semester. This is actually a very exciting time because I really feel like I am starting to get away from the general education part of college and into the meat and potatoes of aerospace engineering. My planned courses for next semester are Technical Report Writing, Advanced Engineering Mathematics I, Aerodynamics, Thermodynamics, Solid Mechanics, and Space Mechanics. Picking which courses to take is the easy part. Now I just have to find a schedule that is not too taxing on my health (by that I mean 8am classes) and with highly recommended professors. I will let you know how that all goes next journal entry.

Oh, and a side note. You should see The Prestige. That movie is freaking awesome. If you like movies that make you think, that movie is for you. I liked it so much, I am now reading the novel it is based on.

That’s all for now. I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving Holiday. My next journal entry will be delivered right after the Holiday. Enjoy your family and make sure you take the time to acknowledge all the wonderful people and advantages you have in your lives. Never take your loved ones for granted and make the best of every thing and second you have.

Make sure to check back for my next entry. Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!